We want to acknowledge Linux, and everyone in the open source community, for their tremendous
|Powered By Linux
To carry out our server side operations, processing tens of millions of files and hundreds
of Gigabytes of elevation and imagery data, on a single
PC with 1GB of RAM and regular IDE drives, we required a robust platform with
Linux provided us with all that and more.
- a high performance filesystem
- flexible scripting
- decent caching and paging
- simple inter process communication (pipes)
- remarkable stability
- secure and reliable networking
- an optimized c compiler that we also used for an embedded device
- an ability to capture application core dumps
- a general ability to be stripped of excess baggage
and turned into lean weight
In particular we like to thank
for stable server installation and
for good hardware detection.
Further, EarthDetails thanks the open-source community for their contributions to humanity.
Through out our work we have discussed how we would want to sustain a business model while
giving something back to the community.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
EarthDetails renders over 300 thousand rooftops, irregular high density LIDAR elevation data,
and high resolution imagery supplied by OSI Geospatial for an entire county in the NorthWest.
EarthDetails brings 3D to handhelds.
EarthDetails renders the US West Coast with Geological Survey data.